What is here… Anything that’s not directly work related that I think would be useful or interesting to people on the Internet. Mostly book and product reviews, personal experiences, and problems I’ve solved that you can’t find the solution anywhere else. Occasionally a bit of writing, response, or under-appreciated links.
What isn’t here… Random opinion, family life, minutiae, facts you can easily find with a quick Google Search.
Why this is here… because I think everyone should have a personal website…not just a social profile run by some giant corporation making money off your life moments and connections.
Who this is… I’m the Nate Shivar of Atlanta, GA. It’s not a common name…if you Google it, then you pretty much get all my profiles. Here’s all about me professionally and personally…
I run ShivarWeb – a marketing education site for DIYers and freelancers. I’m also the co-host of the Bamboo Chalupa podcast on digital marketing. I also run a range of online publishing projects and do marketing consulting for some amazing clients.
In the past, I’ve done a lot of other things. The major career points are:
- Nebo Agency – I was the Senior SEO Specialist at an Atlanta, GA marketing agency.
- Shivar Web Consulting – freelance marketing and web design.
- UGA Campus Transit – drove buses & trained new drivers.
- Shivar Brothers – random hustlin’ projects.
- Borders Bookstore – sold physical books.
- 84 Lumber Company – sold building materials.
- UGA Rec Sports Complex – supervised the Intramural Fields.
- Ash Plumbing – learned how to plumb.
- Born in Memphis, Tennessee in 1985.
- Spent most of my childhood in The Philippines in Santiago City and Laoag City. Mabuhay!
- Lived in Crawford, GA for high school & part of college.
- University of Georgia class of 2007 in International Affairs.
- Married to Shannon in 2006.
- Lived in Athens, GA for a while.
- Moved to Atlanta in 2013.
- Currently live in the beautiful Grant Park neighborhood in Atlanta, GA.
- I have a son named Benjamin, born 2010.
- I have another son named Jack, born 2016.
- My parents live & work in Nicaragua.
- I have a younger sister who is my editorial assistant at Shivar Web Consulting in India.
- I have another younger sister who is a teacher in Rome, GA.
- I have one younger brother who is a civil engineer in Roswell, GA. He also works on EngineeringStudents.com
Stuff I Like
The Economist. Slate Political Gabfest. Hello Internet. Cortex. Whistlestop. The Philippines. Laoag City. Atlanta, GA. University of Georgia. McLaren. Hawks. Braves. Atlanta United. GlobeTrekker, especially Ian Wright. Arrested Development. The Office. Sherlock. Mad Men. Hell On Wheels. Veep. Bill Bryson. Erich Maria Remarque. Stieg Larsson. Alain de Botton. Karen Armstrong. Jittery Joe’s. French Press. Octane. Delta. Google. WordPress. Parks. Trails.
Stuff I Do
Here’s what I’m actively doing. Spending time with family and friends. Reading books. Lots of books. Exploring. Walking. Planespotting. Running Atlanta. Doing long–distance runs. Hiking. Backcountry Camping. Listening to podcasts. Gardening. Commuting by bike. Traveling. FIFA, MLB & NBA on PS4. Building websites. Marketing.
Due to parenting, personal, and business commitments (and horrible marketers ruining the party) – I’m pretty hard to get in touch with. However, I do love to hear from actual human readers. I read all my mentions & most DMs on Twitter about once per week. That’s the best channel.
You can also use the Contact form on ShivarWeb.com (my business website). That form goes right to my inbox. I’ll see it & respond even if it take a couple days.
Three miscellaneous legal items regarding this site –
- This site is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for this site to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
- I reserve the right to ban any IP address or any user that I deem unacceptable on my site. This includes any technical attacks, commercial spam, or anything that is simply not cool.
- I reserve copyright to all content, including images on this site. However, if you are a human reading this, please by all means make use any images on a site that you own along with a link back for attribution. In other words, just follow the Creative Commons Attribution licensing. Thanks!