Background on Nate & NateShivar.com! You can find out what I’m doing right now here.
About This Website
What is here… Anything that’s not directly work related that I want to have a personal record of and that I think would be useful or interesting to people on the Internet. Mostly book and product reviews, personal experiences, and problems I’ve solved that you can’t find the solution anywhere else. Occasionally a bit of writing, response, or under-appreciated links.
What isn’t here… Random opinion, family life, minutiae, facts you can easily find with a quick Google Search.
Why this is here… because I love having a personal website…not just a social profile run by some giant corporation making money off your life moments and connections. I’m the kind of person who misses GeoCities and MySpace and RSS feeds.
Who this is… I’m the Nate Shivar of Atlanta, GA. It’s not a common name…if you Google it, then you pretty much get all my profiles. Here’s all about me professionally and personally…
I run Shivar Consulting (incorporated as ShivarWeb LLC) – a small marketing consulting & media company. I’m also the co-host of the Bamboo Chalupa podcast on digital marketing. I also run a range of online publishing projects and also do marketing consulting for some amazing clients. My main wheelhouse is search marketing with a focus on Technical SEO and Content Strategy, but I do a lot of fun marketing stuff.
In the past, I’ve done a lot of other things before my current business. The major career points are:
- Nebo Agency – I was the Senior SEO Specialist at an (awesome) Atlanta, GA marketing agency.
- Shivar Web Consulting – freelance marketing and web design.
- UGA Campus Transit – drove buses & trained new drivers.
- Shivar Brothers – random hustlin’ projects.
- Borders Bookstore – sold physical books.
- 84 Lumber Company – sold building materials.
- UGA Rec Sports Complex – supervised the UGA Intramural Fields.
- Ash Plumbing – learned how to plumb.
- Born in Memphis, Tennessee in 1985.
- Spent most of my childhood in The Philippines in Santiago City and Laoag City. Mabuhay!
- Lived in the little town of Crawford, GA for high school & part of college.
- University of Georgia class of 2007 in International Affairs.
- Married to my incredible wife in 2006.
- Lived in Athens, GA for a while.
- Moved to Atlanta in 2013.
- Currently live in the beautiful Grant Park neighborhood in Atlanta, GA.
- I have two incredible kids.
- My parents live & work in Watkinsville, GA.
- I have a younger sister who is my editorial assistant at ShivarWeb in India.
- I have another younger sister who is a teacher in Rome, GA.
- I have one younger brother who is a civil engineer in Roswell, GA. He also runs EngineeringStudents.com
Stuff I Like
Here’s a random stream-of-consciousness list with no rhyme, reason, or limit….
The Philippines. Laoag City. Georgia. Atlanta, GA. University of Georgia. Hawks. Braves. Atlanta United. GlobeTrekker, especially Ian Wright. Parts Unknown. Arrested Development. The Office. Sherlock Holmes. Mad Men. Hell On Wheels. Veep. Atlanta. Bill Bryson. Erich Maria Remarque. Jason Fried. Mohsin Hamid. Johnny Molloy. Mozilla. WordPress. National Parks. Trails. State Parks. Libraries. Hiking. Walking. Bike Commuting. Reading. International Affairs…and other stuff I highly recommend.
Stuff I Do
Here’s what I’m actively doing. Spending time with family and friends. Parenting. Reading books. Lots of books. Exploring. Walking. Planespotting. Running Atlanta. Doing long–distance runs. Hiking. Backcountry Camping. Listening to podcasts. Maps. Birding. Commuting by bike. Traveling. Visiting Every State Park in Georgia. Building websites. Marketing.
Due to parenting, personal, and business commitments (and horrible marketers ruining the party) – I’m pretty hard to get in touch with. However, I do love to hear from actual human readers. I read all my mentions & most DMs on Twitter about once per month. That’s the best channel.
You can also email me at [first initial][last name] [at] gmail.com. I clear out emails usually by Friday.
Three miscellaneous legal items regarding this site –
- This site is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for this site to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
- I reserve the right to ban any IP address or any user that I deem unacceptable on my site. This includes any technical attacks, commercial spam, or anything that is simply not cool.
- I reserve copyright to all content, including images on this site. However, if you are a human reading this, please by all means make use any images on a site that you own along with a link back for attribution. In other words, just follow the Creative Commons Attribution licensing. Thanks!